Fourth generation Virginia Tech portal developed around uPortal2. uPortal is a free, sharable portal under development by institutions of higher-education. It is an open-standard effort using Java, XML, JSP and J2EE.
My VT adds "customization" and "community" to the campus Web presence. Customization allows each user to define a unique and personal view of the campus Web. Community tools, such as chat, forums, survey, and so on, build relationships among campus constituencies.
As with previous generation Virginia Tech portals, My VT also offers single sign-on capability with several university services. This means that once you log into Hokie Portal, you won't have to retype your PID and password to access other online services.
· User Interface Design
· XSL, HTML, and CSS Coding
· Graphical elements
· Channel development
· Cross-platform and cross-browser support
· Has user selectable skins.
· HTML 4.01 Transitional compliant.
· CSS2 standards compliant.
1) Front page before user login
2) Front page after user login.
3) Customization page showing user selectable skins. Skins creation is simplified using standards compliant CSS.
4) Customization page showing user selectable content "channels".
5) Page showing a typical user view.
6) Page demostration weather channel and bookmarks channel. Weather channel and bookmarks channel were created in XML/XSL (XSL coding by me).