Create a theme for use within uPortal 2.x that complies to
W3C recommended standards. The theme does not include the use of tables or transparent GIFs
for page layout and facilitates the separation of structure and presentation. This theme, in turn, would help to create a
(the first freely available?) portal that is compliant to W3C recommended standards.
- Does not use tables or transparent gifs for page layout.
- Complies and validates with W3C Recommendations for XHTML 1.0 Transitional
- Complies and validates with W3C Recommendations for CSS level 2
- Accessibly / Usability updates over base uPortal distribution.
- Acts as starting point to comply with WAI Checkpoints
- 12 Skins available with 5 colors each
- Skin style is easily changed/modified by editing the CSS and not the XSL
- Skin color and font size can be changed on the fly where applicable.
- September 2002 - Concept formed
- November 2002 - Brainstorming
- December 2002 - Started rough coding of concept
- January 2003 - Halted work
- February 2003 - Restarted work, now an official project. Completed XSL structure. Creation of theme skins.
- March 2003 - Cross-platform and browser compatibility testing. Screenshots of working demo.
- April 2003 - Conversion of default uPortal channels to tableless layout
- May 2003 - Submitted project to JA-SIG Clearinghouse
- June 2003 - Pre-release and more testing
- July 2003 - Official release. Feature additions and bug fixes?
- August 2003 - Work on some new skins
- September 2003 - Work on some new skins
- October 2003 - Bug fixes and preparation for uPortal 2.2 release
- November 2003 - Bug / skin fixes
- December 2003 - Idle
- January 2004 - Preparation for uPortal 2.2 release
- February 2004 - Idle
- March 2004 - Left Portal Developer position at Virginia
- April 2004 - Start new job in commercial sector
- May 2004 - Adjusting to new job.
- June 2004 - Investigate uPortal 2.3 release. Develop accessibility articles Re: uPortal 2.2 / 2.3
- July 2004 -
- August 2004 -
- September 2004 -